June 30, 2009

I am up late.... or early..... and not able to sleep so I decided to get the last of my photos edited of the cemetery shots.

I played around a little more in PSE with the lighting and levels & I cropped the photos a little more than I usually do to see what it would give me.

I am going to have to do some research and find out if there is a program that allows you to crop a photo without losing resolution/pixels. That would be nice.


Yes, I even lay on the ground in the cemetery to get a photo.




Im always looking for old grave markers that show infant/baby deaths. When I see these type of graves, I think about how times were different "back in the day" and babies died so often in childbirth, childhood, and so very young. I think about how medicine, science, technology, etc were no where as advanced as they are today and when I look at history and the causes of these deaths, I think of how "simple" some of the causes were and how they would be recognized and death prevented today.




Im trying so hard to get down my black & white conversion to something Im satisfied with. This one I cropped to the size you see here to focus on the face of the statue. I can not decide if I went too far or now. Im still not satisfied with the black and white conversion. Practice makes perfect, right. More practicing needed!


Laying down again to get this shot....

This tree stood out because it was bare of green growth. I saw a couple of them like this and thought they must be dead trees standing...??

10 comments:

Karen Roper said...

Hi Christina, found you by way of the yahoo photoclub site. You have a great eye for photography! Your cropping and editing is fantastic. That Nikon gets some awesome photos...what lenses do you use? Looking forward to seeing you at the club meeting! ~Karen

Kimstar said...

I love the building with the dead tree.... I love the colors . I love the shape of the building. I like that the building is off centerd.

scw1217 said...

Very nice series. I liked your black and white of the statue. You did well. Lovely old cemetery with all those flowers.

Lille Diane said...

Al of these are amazing shots especially the ones where you were lying down. You have such a great eye, Christina.

I got the msg today about the photo club & sent my info.

When you have time come to my blob and check out (LOL I just typed "blob"--hafta leave that typo...lol) Rain at Mountain Mamma and Owen at Magic Lantern, They a fabulowwwso! Tell them i sent you looking. Both have become my friends. Both are listed on my sidebar.

Hope you are feeling well. :-)

Joan said...

These are lovely! I am always haunting cemeteries as well.

I'll be back...

Andrea said...

Love the series in the cemetery. The yellow flowers balance out the gray grave markers nicely.

Alex said...

Hi Christina, love your graveyard shots. Since your interested in grave markers i have a strange one which i will post soon for you. It is a grave stone approx 300yrs old marked with a skull and crossbones, apparently it means the person died of poisoning.

shersl84bed said...

I am not one for grave yard photos, however these are beautiful. Every cemetery should be so lucky to have those beautiful wild flowers everywhere. Beautiful photos, I hate to say it, but that first one leading in to the cemetery looks so inviting.

Owen said...

Hi Christina, saw where you dropped in today to my humble abode, really appreciate the visit and comments ! This cemetery series is really something ! I've never seen a graveyard covered in such an abundance of flowers like that... a yellow carpet. Beautiful... keep laying down to take shots, gives a great angle. Your black & white is good too, what's not to like about it... personally I have a weak spot for black and white, almost as big as my weak spot for chocolate ! LOL !

Hi Lille Diane ! Thanks for the puff of summer breeze there ! :-D I've been so bad about getting out and around, my job is eating me alive these days... not good for blogging. I need to win the lottery or find a huge sponsor so I could photograph and blog full time... (I'm dreaming again)(sigh)

Lori said...

Beautiful!!! You take such amazing photos.

xoxo,
Lori